Wednesday, October 16, 2019

I don`t think we`re in Kansas anymore, Toto

¡Buenas tardes!

This week was amazing. We had the General Conference of the church, and got to listen to the prophets and apostles of God teach us the things that He wants us to know right now, in a live video broadcast. My companion and I watched it in English in a little air conditioned room in the church called the "bunker." I learned a lot from the talks in conference about how to have joy, and how to understand what Satan is trying to do to take that joy out of my life. God just wants us to be happy, but a lot of the time we don`t realize that because of all of the things that we think make us happy that actually aren`t good for us. The conference was really refreshing for my companion and I, and gave us a lot of motivation to work this week. 

One of the days of conference we bought an entire roasted chicken to split and eat for lunch in between sessions, because we got really hungry. Someone also gave us this fruit called a sincuya from a tree in their property. It`s pretty gnarly looking, and it was pretty tasty! We also helped our friend Mishelle clean out her house that got flooded from all the rain. I also went to a really fancy store and got to play the nicest ukulele I`ve ever seen. I think I might go back to buy it someday. 

The sincuya
We cut it open...and then we had no idea what to do.
We got drenched pretty much every day this week from pouring rain that comes in the afternoon and lasts sometimes into the night. We had some really funny experiences pretty much every day.  My companion tried to jump over a river of water in the street once, and he made it, but the telephone fell out of his pocket and landed straight in the water and got completely soaked, battery and all. We bought a bag of rice and carried the phone around there for the rest of the day. We had to go to the Hermana`s area that day for a meeting, so we took a super dangerous trip in a Tuk-Tuk down a road that was just totally filled with water. We finally made it, and found the Hermanas there, only to learn that the meeting had been canceled. They said they had called us like ten times, and when they asked what happened, we just showed them the bag of rice. We then returned to our area down the same dangerous road, but my companion`s agenda ended up getting soaked, and then it fell into some poop. So he decided he needed a new one haha. That was one of the funniest days in my whole mission, because nobody was home and pretty much everything went wrong. We just laughed and laughed all day. Luckily, the rice saved the phone and so we don`t have to use payphones anymore. 

We discovered that my-size clothes don`t really fit Elder Hoskins very well. He made it happen though...
Life is good, and I`m learning a ton of things all the time. Whenever I start to feel like I know what I`m doing, something happens and I realize that I still have a TON to learn. But the good thing is that there`s still time for me to keep improving.

Love you guys!
-Elder Cloward




No comments:

Post a Comment